Over the past few months there has been a game which has rapidly risen called Among Us. Compared to the release of the family friendly, calming Animal Crossing New Horizons game early this year, Among Us is the complete opposite relying on betrayal and sacrifice to win. Recently, I have been playing Among Us in some of my study periods doing a ‘live’ meeting whenever the button was called or a dead body reported yet first I will briefly explain the game.
What is the difference between a crewmate and an imposter?
A crewmate completes tasks and tries to figure out who the imposter is by gathering information like a detective. Crewmates can win if they vote out the imposter or complete all of their tasks. If someone spots a dead body (as the imposter has killed), they are able to report the body and discuss any suspicious activity they have seen during meetings where at the end of the meeting they can vote someone off or skip there vote. The crewmates work together in a team to find the imposter among them.
An imposters task is to fake tasks and avoid suspicion whilst trying to kill the other crewmates and sabotage different areas. The imposters are able to ‘vent’ around the map in order to move quickly around and are able to report dead bodies – this is called a self report. Mostly an imposter has to avoid suspicion to avoid being voted out and they win the game when there is only one crewmate left alive.
If anyone dies or is voted off, they become ghosts. Crewmate ghosts can finish their tasks whilst Imposter ghosts can still sabotage.
What are the three maps you can play on?
- Looks like a spaceship which is one giant loop
- 14 rooms
- 5 visual tasks (which can be turned off)
- Security system allows for 4 corridors to be viewed at the same time
- contains 5 vents systems
- reactor, electrical, communications and O2 can all be sabotaged by the imposters
- imposters can also sabotage doors which have an automatic reopening countdown
- MIRA HQ
- Looks like an office building with a triangular design
- 12 rooms
- 1 visual task
- Security system is a ‘doorlog’ which allows three sensors to pick up the movement of the players
- contains 11 vents which are all connected via one system
- reactor, O2 an electrical can all be sabotaged by the imposters
- imposters cannot sabotage doors
- Looks like a snowy planet and has quite a large layout
- 15 rooms
- 2 visual tasks
- Security system allows for six areas to be viewed individually
- reactor, O2 and electrical can all be sabotaged by the imposter
- imposters can sabotage doors which can be reopened using switches
- contains vitals which allows you to see who is alive or dead
What is 84’s favourite map?
I am a big fan of the SKELD but it may be due to this map being the simplest to follow and play in online lobbies. However, the other maps are more fun to play ‘live’ talking to your friends during meetings as you are able to explain where you are and our story a lot more clearer compared to typing it during the meetings box.
If you have not played Among Us, I highly recommend playing it during the Christmas season as a virtual game. My overall rating is 9/10.